lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ProMod Beta 2 -- Released!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-03-2002, 05:36 PM   #41
Jubatus

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtifeX
You're right about that coming with 1.03. It's because the special moves are all uninterruptible animations. There's some wacky logic in there handling all that. I'll stick this on my bug list and have it fixed in Beta 3.

You de man Keep up the good work; I'm sure we are legions appreciating it.

-]H-P[-Jubatus - All bow down to TROGDOR the BURNINATOR!

Ode to a

Hey, you there! What we count in numbers we lack in wit.
Hey, you there! I take orders from an imperial git.
Hey, you there! I can't shot for sh*t.
Hey, you there!....Is there a bottom to this pit?
Jubatus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2002, 06:15 PM   #42
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
You're right about that coming with 1.03. It's because the special moves are all uninterruptible animations. There's some wacky logic in there handling all that. I'll stick this on my bug list and have it fixed in Beta 3.

LOL if you fix that damn bug then I'll have to put you on my Christmas card list man, and I know Jubatus will be eternally grateful too...

Who knows maybe promod will turn JK2 into a finished article instead of the collection of bugs and exploitable moves that it seems to be up till now!!!

Peace & Ting

Jah
Jah Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2002, 07:31 PM   #43
zerowingzero

Damn you Jah, i joined to see these 10 second flat duels you keep speaking of, but with your custom maps and lack of finding the map elsewhere, i just let it dl in the background (at 2kb/s!) And by the time it was done, everyone was gone

We will meet again someday...
zerowingzero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2002, 08:35 PM   #44
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
Originally posted by zerowingzero
Damn you Jah, i joined to see these 10 second flat duels you keep speaking of, but with your custom maps and lack of finding the map elsewhere, i just let it dl in the background (at 2kb/s!) And by the time it was done, everyone was gone

We will meet again someday...

LOL, we waited as long as we could dude, but my fave show was on - OZ you may have heard of it.

Anyways the map pack u want is ente's pad pack available at jedioutcastmaps.com, and its well worth getting hold of. You wouldnt have seen any 10 second duels, LOL damage is set at 0.3 and don't think about flaming me for that, myself and the regulars checked it out and that was the only sensible damage rating.

Hope to see you soon bro,

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-03-2002, 09:54 PM   #45
KnightHawk420

First off....

Come play Praxeum Knights Promod Servers

Praxeum Knights Saber Only FFA - Promod Beta 2
206.169.69.25:28070
- Jedi Knight Force
- Saber Only

Praxeum Knights CTF - Promod Beta 2
206.169.69.25:28080
- Jedi Master Force
- Full Weapons

Both servers have the newest versions of the many of the greatest skins and models out there for the game. Custom maps will be coming soon. (need more regulars first )

Sadly I haven't had enough time to really test out beta 2 yet. But from what I've seen....

1. Love the new startup screen, for sure not Kansas no mo..
2. 100/25 after duel is good, but no multi duel? I know next release.
3. SP Style saber throw blocking, Would very much like to see in next release along with #2.
Good to hear it is coming though.
4. Love the offensive/defensive bonus guages. Jesus this mod just keeps getting better.

I have to say I really love this freaking mod. I consider it the savior of all things JK2. Really what JK2 should of been from day one. Artifex like you I really hope to get more CTF action in, but as it goes I'm the only one on the planet running a promod CTF server, and I have no traffic. LOL. Sad but true, hoping that will change so I can see if its good for CTF. Anyway us FFA'ers aside from that love it. hehe
KnightHawk420 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2002, 10:30 PM   #46
zerowingzero

Quote:
Originally posted by Jah Warrior

LOL, we waited as long as we could dude, but my fave show was on - OZ you may have heard of it.

OZ?

Lol seriously, if you watch seinfeld you have to see the snl parody with jerry in Oz, it's frigin funny
[B]
Quote:
Anyways the map pack u want is ente's pad pack available at jedioutcastmaps.com, and its well worth getting hold of. You wouldnt have seen any 10 second duels, LOL damage is set at 0.3 and don't think about flaming me for that, myself and the regulars checked it out and that was the only sensible damage rating.

[B]
Me= lazy for dling individual maps, i'd rather let it dl at 2kb/s and go for a walk

And you and your damn "Fast and furious" duels, how are they to fast? How do you play exactly? With both players going for a downward axe chop in red at the same time? You and your crazysettings.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:45 PM   #47
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Ah man the only way to explain it is that our server settings simply encourage use of all moves many times in a duel, you really have to get stuck in there to get some damage and we love it, honest!!! It brings a greater tactical element into the game i feel, and it also makes comebacks possible. If you get like most of your health taken form a normal hit you are done for in default damage settings, with it lowered a comeback is attainable.

To prove my point, I can safely say that on our server there is not a single player that for instance only uses Red, or Yellow or blue, everyone uses all stances and this is because they know that with lower damage its not worth jst using red or just using finishers, all the moves do their bit of damage and it comes together with some brilliant and I mean BRILLIANT fights.

It may be an acquired taste and sure it may not suit those that like to get a couple of hits and win, what it does do is make it bloody good fun! F'real!!! ask any of the regulars - jais druid lexx, jubatus sosky clem and so on.

He he maybe I should call the server Hermes Place the home of endurance duels!!!

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-03-2002, 11:04 PM   #48
zerowingzero

I gotta make you a demo of some 3 min duels i had with others, Damage isnt really insane, in nf it takes three clean yellow hits, two red, or many many blue, and i've used lotsa moves with the current setting, i have style swich bound to mousewheeldown at the disadvanatge of nerver swiching weapons :S

The keys is, if your good enough you can be able to evade most moves at close range, as well as move accordingly to minimize damage.

.30? what is that? 20 damage per clean yellow hit? It has to be a real aquired taste, like watching baseball or grass grow. (No offence, but how long do your duels last? 10 min each?)
Old 09-03-2002, 11:10 PM   #49
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

ArtifeX is already on my Holiday Greeting card list

Toonces
www.drivingcatstudios.com
Powered by Sith
Toonces is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 03:42 AM   #50
taboo

I'm a huge fan of this mod ... I'm really hoping that it can virtually replace the default jk2. Having said that, I have just a few suggestions.

Please don't forget to eventually deal with the bots aim/difficulty issue. I for one get a huge kick out of slaying bots when i don't feel like finding an online server. It shouldn't be too hard to give bots of any given difficulty a range of 'hit scores' to determine defence breaking etc (this is coming from someone who's never modded before of course ).

This second suggestion is just an idea that I'm putting out there in case anyone finds it worthwhile. I'm a big fan of all weapons, all force ffa. However, it seems a bit unbalanced that a gunner can choose to put no skill points into the saber skills and fill up the rest of the force powers while a saberist has to choose between saber skills and force powers. My suggestion would be to reduce all force powers or just light/dark powers by a factor of 1 of players holding a non saber weapon. Please don't think that i'm a die hard saberist who thinks he should be able to win every battle with a saber ... I'm not. I realize that there is an unsupported mercs vs jedi feature but anything that limits choice/diversity in the game ain't a good think in my books. Anyway, that's the basic idea ... thanks for listening!
taboo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 07:59 AM   #51
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by taboo
I'm a huge fan of this mod ... I'm really hoping that it can virtually replace the default jk2. Having said that, I have just a few suggestions.

Please don't forget to eventually deal with the bots aim/difficulty issue. I for one get a huge kick out of slaying bots when i don't feel like finding an online server. It shouldn't be too hard to give bots of any given difficulty a range of 'hit scores' to determine defence breaking etc (this is coming from someone who's never modded before of course ).
This is on my list for beta 3.

Quote:

This second suggestion is just an idea that I'm putting out there in case anyone finds it worthwhile. I'm a big fan of all weapons, all force ffa. However, it seems a bit unbalanced that a gunner can choose to put no skill points into the saber skills and fill up the rest of the force powers while a saberist has to choose between saber skills and force powers. My suggestion would be to reduce all force powers or just light/dark powers by a factor of 1 of players holding a non saber weapon. Please don't think that i'm a die hard saberist who thinks he should be able to win every battle with a saber ... I'm not. I realize that there is an unsupported mercs vs jedi feature but anything that limits choice/diversity in the game ain't a good think in my books. Anyway, that's the basic idea ... thanks for listening!
This is really similar to something I've been talking to others about. I think a lot of CTF ladder players would send their big brother Vinny after me if I did this. My original plan was to put this in Beta 2, but the mixed reactions I was getting made me decide to push it back to a later version, if I do it at all.

I'm going to see how the current settings work out for a while, maybe get team Valar and some others to jump into my server for some CTF so I can watch how things go, and judge from there.

Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 08:03 AM   #52
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
I gotta make you a demo of some 3 min duels i had with others, Damage isnt really insane, in nf it takes three clean yellow hits, two red, or many many blue, and i've used lotsa moves with the current setting, i have style swich bound to mousewheeldown at the disadvanatge of nerver swiching weapons :S

The keys is, if your good enough you can be able to evade most moves at close range, as well as move accordingly to minimize damage.

.30? what is that? 20 damage per clean yellow hit? It has to be a real aquired taste, like watching baseball or grass grow. (No offence, but how long do your duels last? 10 min each?)
2-3 minutes on average, if its unmatched - ie a really awful player versus a good player it will last 30 seconds, One one occasion I saw a fight last 7 minutes but this was a one off.

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-04-2002, 08:15 AM   #53
ArtifeX

Sounds like you're going to be a big fan of multiple ffa duels when Beta 3 comes out. The shortest ones are 30 seconds? Sheesh!

Quote:

2-3 minutes on average, if its unmatched - ie a really awful player versus a good player it will last 30 seconds, One one occasion I saw a fight last 7 minutes but this was a one off.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-04-2002, 11:12 AM   #54
FatalStrike

Quote:

HAHA!!

I am with you ZWZ I like good strong hits, if I get smacked by two yellow hits I have to fight a perfect duel to score a comeback. That the way it should be. If you get outclassed early on, well my friend you deserve no pity, next time be more careful.

The same with finishers, why even try one? If they are weak the damage done to risk taken ratio is retarded. Finishers all leave you open for a long time (except Blue Lunge) and are very hard to land in a duel, they should be quick kills.

But then again I hate Baseball because its slow, so it only makes sense that slow duels would annoy me.

Battlefield 1942........
FatalStrike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 11:21 AM   #55
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
Originally posted by FatalStrike

HAHA!!

I am with you ZWZ I like good strong hits, if I get smacked by two yellow hits I have to fight a perfect duel to score a comeback. That the way it should be. If you get outclassed early on, well my friend you deserve no pity, next time be more careful.

The same with finishers, why even try one? If they are weak the damage done to risk taken ratio is retarded. Finishers all leave you open for a long time (except Blue Lunge) and are very hard to land in a duel, they should be quick kills.

But then again I hate Baseball because its slow, so it only makes sense that slow duels would annoy me.
I soooooo want to fight you, on both default settings and sensible settings, PM me if you wanna discover just how much pity i deserve... LOL

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-04-2002, 11:35 AM   #56
FatalStrike

Quote:

I soooooo want to fight you, on both default settings and sensible settings, PM me if you wanna discover just how much pity i deserve... LOL
I sooooooo think you should go on Arti's server since I will be there more and more now that Beta 2 is out. I play Jk++ on Rage's server, ProMod 2 on Artifex's server, and v1.02 when I want to just chill with cool players that have a more established community.

Sooooooooo show up at Arti's server more often and you will see me as ZWZ did last night (heehee punk I got you good right before you left )

To Jah (rule) warrior:

SOOOOOOO WEAK

SOOOOOOO WEAK

SOOOOOOO WEAK

SOOOOOOO WEAK

Want me to say it again? I know it drives you nuts.

SOOOOOOO WEAK

there you go!! LOL I pity you for acting big on a forum. LoL

I don't claim to be the best, I just know what I like. I like strong sabers because the idea of landing a heavy hit across the head that only leaves a scratch is laughable.

LoL Breath man Breath!!

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-04-2002, 11:41 AM   #57
Jah Warrior
part time waster

No comment... the offer stands.

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #58
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
methinks everyone needs to be calming down now, aye.....

no more personal attacks... AT ALL

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 11:46 AM   #59
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
Originally posted by GonkH8er

thanks.

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-04-2002, 11:48 AM   #60
ArtifeX

If you haven't read this yet, read it. The last section of it is something that's been bothering me for a while. I just want to shout this from the highest hilltop...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...991#post806972

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-04-2002, 01:13 PM   #61
Clem
Clemtastic

artifex .... i have an ickle problem with promod when playing online .... well ok its a big gurt problem .... i cant play!

ive only tested this in hermes cos i know of no other promods servers i can get into

i always get 999 pings i can chat to people .... but play is impossible

im on 56k if thats important

edit: i tested it in ur server 2 ... same problem

also i forgot to mention the "connection interrupted" warning and picture keep flashing on and off

This sig does not exist

the fact ur reading this ... is probably an effect of the hallucinogenic drugs u've just taken

Clem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 01:20 PM   #62
FatalStrike

Quote:
No comment... the offer stands.
I told you where I play and I told you how to find me.

You have the problem with me and my views, I don't want you to change your server. So my friend since I did not insult you in any way and you stated you "soooooo want to fight me" and I have no interest in even running into you, then you should have no problem finding me.

Look champ many people like ProMod because of the strong hits, and just because I happen to agree with them doesn't mean you gotta come around tryin to prove something. My last post was meant to show you how retarded you are for getting all bent out of shape because I express the fact I don't like weak sabers.

You freakin erased a good thread last time because of this. Just accept the fact that many people like duels to last a long time because of even opponents, not just because it actually takes a long time to kill someone.

You know where to find me so if you wish come and get it, otherwise I am not taking time out of my schedule for some match that only means something to you. Frankly I don't care if you are the best Jedi on the damn planet, you still won't change the fact that weak sabers SUCK IMHO.

Thanks

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-04-2002, 01:23 PM   #63
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by GonkH8er

Fine fine fine

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #64
ArtifeX

ProMod beta 2 is now posted at jk2files.com. They give a quick blurb about it and have a new screenshot or two:

http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=5179&sid=#55202

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-04-2002, 02:06 PM   #65
taboo

Quote:
This is really similar to something I've been talking to others about. I think a lot of CTF ladder players would send their big brother Vinny after me if I did this. My original plan was to put this in Beta 2, but the mixed reactions I was getting made me decide to push it back to a later version, if I do it at all.
I'm glad to heat that you've given a similar scheme some consideration! I'd just like to add a few thoughts seeing as this issue isn't just a pipe dream anymore.

Another solution would be to really reduce the number of skill points needed to buy saber skills. Or, make saber skill level 2 for offence/defence and level 1 for throwing free. In retrospect, this would be a less nerfy way to go about things I suppose.

Now, in regards to the earlier idea of reducing the force skill by 1 of ppl carrying a non saber weapon! It occured to me that youculd just reduce/nerf proactive force use while holding a ns-weapon. ie if i have a blaster in hand, i force push other ppl at level 2 while i use it defensively\automatically at level 3.

CTF,dueling and ffa are all very different games ... if you have to change the settings slightly for each to make them more fun/viable, i'd say do it. Having said this, don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

Anyway, these are all just ideas for consideration from a jedi with too much time on his hands. BTW, is there some place where you discuss features in depth that you are currently considering?
taboo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 02:31 PM   #66
Jubatus

Just wanna start out by addressing the clash between FatalStrike and Jah Warrior. I think it primarily happened due to two different points of view on duelling; Fatalstrike's from the FFA view and Jah Warrior's from the Duel view. Disregarding how Fatalstrike obnoxiously overreacted to Jah Warrior's challenge, I agree with them both. In FFA, which I rarely play, I want fast duels for the flow of the game and with consideration to the uninterrupted kill score list. In Duel however, the kill score list waits for you, and having longer fights is much more desirable, at least to me. The level of realism with regards to getting hit by a trapped laser beam emission must come second to the fun of the game, but then again that's relevant to each player.

That said, I just wanna comment on betamod further after having played it some more since my last comment. Beta2 seems to encourage close headon collisions as opposed to the side hits with the tip of the saber some of us strived for before. Does it require skill to make sure your horizontal saber swings hit at the peak of its strength, ie the crosshair dead on your opponent? Yes.

And therein could be a problem, for if you attack running straight on with vertical swinging it will require little to hit with full breakthrough capability, and thus we could be looking at a new newbie headless chicken epidemic Hereby not said it's not possible for players to adapt and evolve so much with this new style of play required by this mod that spectacular and diverse battles can come about. But so far much of the grace of some of the old mods have been lost to powermashing.....hope time and play will prove me wrong.

Another thing brought about by this mod is the necessity to practically always look at or above headheight of your opponent in order to max out CSC strength. I have always played looking downwards by 30-45 degrees in order to have a better view of my surroundings and my enemy's position. It simply provides a better overview, and even if I get used to looking straight ahead that overview won't be restored along with it. So, Artifex, if it is possible could you include a movable crosshair, so one could place it 30 degrees above normal to allow maximum strength while keeping ones overview by looking downwards? I'm no comp wiz but I assume that it might be a greater piece of work since by moving the crosshair in relation to your character's default point of attack origin and direction would demand alignment programming and such stuff. But if you could I'd be immensily appreciative

So much for now....might get back to yer. Hope you appreciate the feedback

Ode to a

Old 09-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #67
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Jubatus
Disregarding how Fatalstrike obnoxiously overreacted to Jah Warrior's challenge, I agree with them both.
Mind your words champ! You don't know how long Jah has been on me about not likeing his settings, if I even mention strong settings, or agree with someone who like them (as in this case) he gets all pissy and challenges me to a pointless match that cannot regardless of outcome prove either party as being correct.

About the rest of your Post:

Also you went on to say that ProMod encourages players to charge straight ahead, but you forget that changing to a better blocking stance makes a head on attack very easily defended. You will be blocked almost 100% of the time and it will be very easy for your enemy to sidestep and crush you. As players get more and more used to the blocking scheme head on attacks will not be as common.

Players need to learn to sidestep with out removing their crosshairs from their enemy.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-04-2002, 04:37 PM   #68
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

I dunno, this one feels kinda spammy. I just spent 15 minutes playing another two guys, and this one fella would just spam yellow slashes. No specials or anything, just run at you swinging yellow, and I found it very hard to counter. Yellow did decent damage, and it would break defenses as well? Hmmm....

ShockV1.89

"Not all one pleads can be granted. But a good hearing soothes the heart." -The Instruction of Ptah-hotep.

"So here I go, it's my shot. Feet fail me not. This may be the only opportunity that I got..." -Eminem
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 04:49 PM   #69
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by ShockV1.89
I dunno, this one feels kinda spammy. I just spent 15 minutes playing another two guys, and this one fella would just spam yellow slashes. No specials or anything, just run at you swinging yellow, and I found it very hard to counter. Yellow did decent damage, and it would break defenses as well? Hmmm....

ShockV1.89
What stance were you defending with?

Also did you try short jump back vertcal heavy chop forward? I found that since it hits twice and usually kills upon landing you can kill forward attack spammers with ease.

You might also try a medium special since it only works when people charge at you, it may be good in this instance.

Its all about timing.

We must expect people to noob fight at first since non of us are well practiced in it enough to have set counters in mind, but I have found many that work including blue stance defense plus strafe while pivoting to keep him in my sights to be very effective.

Also keep in mind that a red DFA hits going up, so time a DFA to launch just before he reaches you.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #70
Clem
Clemtastic

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Clem
artifex .... i have an ickle problem with promod when playing online .... well ok its a big gurt problem .... i cant play!

ive only tested this in hermes cos i know of no other promods servers i can get into

i always get 999 pings i can chat to people .... but play is impossible

im on 56k if thats important

edit: i tested it in ur server 2 ... same problem

also i forgot to mention the "connection interrupted" warning and picture keep flashing on and off
bump

This sig does not exist

the fact ur reading this ... is probably an effect of the hallucinogenic drugs u've just taken

Clem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 05:23 PM   #71
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by Jubatus

That said, I just wanna comment on betamod further after having played it some more since my last comment. Beta2 seems to encourage close headon collisions as opposed to the side hits with the tip of the saber some of us strived for before.
Actually, being in close quarters combat can be more dangerous now than before. When you're that close, the angle between your crosshair and your opponent can change very rapidly. Someone who can consistently maintain their aiming lock when that close is going to be a very dangerous player, indeed. Defense breakers and knockaways are going to happen a lot at that range. It's much safer to keep your opponent at the maximum range of your current saber style, then dart around them trying to open up one of their sides to attack. Someone coming straight at you in a rush is going to get a nasty surprise when you sidestep them and slice them apart.

Quote:
Does it require skill to make sure your horizontal saber swings hit at the peak of its strength, ie the crosshair dead on your opponent? Yes.

And therein could be a problem, for if you attack running straight on with vertical swinging it will require little to hit with full breakthrough capability, and thus we could be looking at a new newbie headless chicken epidemic Hereby not said it's not possible for players to adapt and evolve so much with this new style of play required by this mod that spectacular and diverse battles can come about. But so far much of the grace of some of the old mods have been lost to powermashing.....hope time and play will prove me wrong.

Another thing brought about by this mod is the necessity to practically always look at or above headheight of your opponent in order to max out CSC strength. I have always played looking downwards by 30-45 degrees in order to have a better view of my surroundings and my enemy's position. It simply provides a better overview, and even if I get used to looking straight ahead that overview won't be restored along with it. So, Artifex, if it is possible could you include a movable crosshair, so one could place it 30 degrees above normal to allow maximum strength while keeping ones overview by looking downwards? I'm no comp wiz but I assume that it might be a greater piece of work since by moving the crosshair in relation to your character's default point of attack origin and direction would demand alignment programming and such stuff. But if you could I'd be immensily appreciative

So much for now....might get back to yer. Hope you appreciate the feedback
I've gotten a request or two for a Y-axis camera adjustment variable. I'll take a look and see how easy that would be to implement.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-04-2002, 06:07 PM   #72
zerowingzero

Quote:

Sooooooooo show up at Arti's server more often and you will see me as ZWZ did last night (heehee punk I got you good right before you left )
Lol if i remember correctly, i got you better, if only i had some reference pics....

http://members.rogers.com/zwz/screenshots/biznatch.jpg

My score is so low because i was talking to artifex for a bit about his site, and the fact i can't swich weapons... the key i have weaponswich bound is "q" while i am using the arrow keys for movement :S

And by the way, hate you avatar and your arguing like it's JBF here...
Old 09-04-2002, 06:46 PM   #73
Jubatus

Quote:
Also you went on to say that ProMod encourages players to charge straight ahead, but you forget that changing to a better blocking stance makes a head on attack very easily defended. You will be blocked almost 100% of the time and it will be very easy for your enemy to sidestep and crush you. As players get more and more used to the blocking scheme head on attacks will not be as common.

Players need to learn to sidestep with out removing their crosshairs from their enemy.
Quote:
Actually, being in close quarters combat can be more dangerous now than before. When you're that close, the angle between your crosshair and your opponent can change very rapidly. Someone who can consistently maintain their aiming lock when that close is going to be a very dangerous player, indeed. Defense breakers and knockaways are going to happen a lot at that range. It's much safer to keep your opponent at the maximum range of your current saber style, then dart around them trying to open up one of their sides to attack. Someone coming straight at you in a rush is going to get a nasty surprise when you sidestep them and slice them apart.
Countering the headon bashing was not the issue of my post; I will have little trouble doing that. It's this form of 'style' people might adapt that bothers me, for it will ruin a lot of the grace as I mentioned in said post. I'm less interested in winning as I am in having a great fight. That was the point I wanted across.

Ode to a

Old 09-04-2002, 07:52 PM   #74
zerowingzero

Well after geting owned in Jah's server,i can honestly say that dueling and ffa's are very different.

Damnit i thought my ffa skills would transfer over

Anyway, i still say that red is ok in with the regular damage (it's a risky stance to use aginsed a good player but the damage is always worth it) and i think that the damage setting on your server takes away from it, i'll have to do more testing before i make any real oppinions though, i am not really used to the whole promod NF scene so what applys to FFA's or FF may not apply the same way there.

Don't think it's over though, i'll get better somehow...
Old 09-04-2002, 08:23 PM   #75
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
Well after geting owned in Jah's server,i can honestly say that dueling and ffa's are very different.
Yeah thats my point duelling and ffa ARE totally different, especially when you throw guns, saber throw and force into the mix. Seriously with damage set at 1 those fights would not have lasted more than a few seconds and you saw it with your own eyes dude.

Perhaps a different promod for duelling would work? I dunno, to be honest I'm sick of the debate, I know what me and our regulars like - nuff said...

For the record you so nearly had me on the last fight... 6hp i think or there abouts. I really did think i was doomed.

Hehe, when i was on Artifex's server I didnt have a single force power, except jump, all my keys are assigned to server commands etc. But hey i still got some kills off the drain whores and the run away and throw the saber fanatics... Love it,

Age and treachery always overcomes youth and skill!!!

cheers for the rumbles Zero

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #76
zerowingzero

After playing some duels with the Promod ffa, they didnt seem as short as they thought they would, because with the full damage, players seem to take less risks than with your server, i found my matches to be a little faster than yours but good none the less.

Anyway maybe it's just your playstyle,i am not usually so outclassed in duels, probably because i've been playing with the same lot i developed a diff playstyle than the play style that all you HP server do, either way i'll try and test out red more in NF enviroments, as far i see Red is still ok with regular damage.

Anyway, good fights, and maybe i can change your mind about FFA's, the lightning-drain-backbedal throw you are thinking of isnt really what happins in all servers
Old 09-04-2002, 08:59 PM   #77
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Quote:
Anyway, good fights, and maybe i can change your mind about FFA's, the lightning-drain-backbedal throw you are thinking of isnt really what happins in all servers
I hope so, its just that its a pain in the arse to change keyconfigs, perhaps i'll make a cfg file for that when i get the time.

Peace & Ting

Jah
Old 09-04-2002, 09:02 PM   #78
zerowingzero

I'll lend you mine, it's pretty reasonable, Whatever you do don't use artifex's, he has some crazy **** going on there, inverted mouse, weird keys, and if you read the bind letters backwards it says "IWORSHIPSATAN"

Lol i'll make you a good demo, FFA's kick
Old 09-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #79
KnightHawk420

FFA'ers tend to be more agressive than duelists. On my servers we duel quite a bit. We also do big bad brawls too. True enough none of us are too worried about dying and not playing the game till we're up again, thus we have no need to be quite as safe.

I think you'll find ffa duelers at least the ones fostered on my server to be a par above the rest. Most of them have focused mainly on they're saber skills, but being a force filled environment the usual grip whores don't get in they're way much.

I'm sure you regular duelers would find my ffa duelers to be a handfull.

As far as force powers go in general. After having played 2 weeks with full force powers enabled. I have yet to see anyone really successfully whore anything. Lightning - drain - backpedal... I've seen a few try, but they usually don't get much traction with us. As soon as lightning gets busted out they become everyones center of attention. And have they're asses handed to them accordingly. The biggest whore I've seen is pull/kick, and even that isn't usefull enough to matter. Or grip/blue lunge. This can be very deadly, but its far from unblockable or unavoidable. Experienced players hand me my ass every try of that, non experienced players get they're asses handed to them.

Also no longer in FFA does fighting a darksider = absorb. Play NS_STREETS, you know the push/pull/grip whore map. hehe.... With promod getting pushed/pulled/or gripped off. Is no easy whore to do. It finally takes skill to rack up so many skills with that tactic. Push/pull can be so easy to block as long as your paying attention to who's doing the pushing.

The known whores I did have, do nothing but bitch moan and complain about how much this mod sucks.

What force power FFA is like now I can only describe as a bitchin experience. I've had some damn good almost force only battles before, and I have to say it really feels good now. Somehow the force powers always seemed to be buggy, or overtly advantagous. Such as being able to push/pull others with impunity. Not anymore is that the case. Now if you can do it, it's because made a good solid well aimed, well timed force attack. You can now feel safe going into a server full of darksiders with nothing but push/pull and feel relatively safe from them. Sure there are the lightning/drain whores, but just remember if you got the health, then you got plenty of time to just take the lightning and run after them and chop they're vunerable lightning whoring butts to oblivion.

They will either have to stop using lightning or die... it's that simple anymore. No absorb required.

Now in my duels its not uncommon to throw a few force attacks at each other have each player counter and dodge accordingly and then follow up with saber strikes. This is the kind of fighting I see all the time now with promod. No more force only people running around. Cuz it's simple they learned hte saber is one badass weapon in ProMod.

Reminds me of another whore who would come on my server before equip very little other than darkside powers and own quite a few... As of lastnight watching him play he got owned outright. In a server full of saber loving players, and being the only force only guy is not a good thing.

Hoorah for promod. "It's what the game should of been".
KnightHawk420 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 10:04 AM   #80
FatalStrike

Quote:

Lol if i remember correctly, i got you better, if only i had some reference pics....

http://members.rogers.com/zwz/screenshots/biznatch.jpg
Please Note that you were there longer and since this was my FIRST match of the night I spent some time adjusting my force powers. Also please note that out of my 6 kills YOU were 3 of them. I think you may have killed me once. But whatever keep thinking you own.

Also I was only reffering to our last little meeting of the night in which we had a sort of duel and you lost. It was a joke, since I thought you were cool with it. Didn't know you kept an index of meaningless screenshots or that you'd get all bent out of shape.

My bad!!

Quote:

And by the way, hate you avatar and your arguing like it's JBF here...
Sorry Angel boy, didn't mean to annoy you with the avatar my 12 year old cousin sent me. But I put my familly before losers that take cheap shots, like remarks about avatars, such as yourself.

Can't wait to see you on-line champ.

Battlefield 1942........
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > ProMod Beta 2 -- Released!