lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ProMod Beta 2 -- Released!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-05-2002, 12:20 PM   #81
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by KnightHawk420
As far as force powers go in general. After having played 2 weeks with full force powers enabled. I have yet to see anyone really successfully whore anything. Lightning - drain - backpedal... I've seen a few try, but they usually don't get much traction with us...

Hoorah for promod. "It's what the game should of been".
Good comments. Good to see that my adjustments are turning out to be balanced in the long term. I really think that the range decrease in Lightning and Drain, and the increased saber damage have gone for miles to even out the gameplay.

Stay tuned. Next step is to equalize sabers vs. guns...and from what I've got on paper, it's gonna rock!

Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 12:47 PM   #82
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtifeX

Stay tuned. Next step is to equalize sabers vs. guns...and from what I've got on paper, it's gonna rock!

Do you realize what you are getting yourself into? Gunners will go rabid if you find a way to make sabers equal. Heck, they are already mad at you for upping saber throw damage against gunners.

You are a marked man Artifex, no telling what could happen to you.

Then again I already gave you my thoughts on how to help balance things out. Give'em Hell Artifex!!

Battlefield 1942........
FatalStrike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 01:20 PM   #83
crazyplaya73

I am going to put up a Promod duel server very soon to go along with my Jediplus FFA server. One question - what am I supposed to set for the blocking variables? (you know ghoul2 and sabertraces) I probably doesn't matter. I'm guessing that Promod doesn't pay attention to that but I want to make sure. Thanks.
crazyplaya73 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 02:16 PM   #84
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyplaya73
I am going to put up a Promod duel server very soon to go along with my Jediplus FFA server. One question - what am I supposed to set for the blocking variables? (you know ghoul2 and sabertraces) I probably doesn't matter. I'm guessing that Promod doesn't pay attention to that but I want to make sure. Thanks.
Glad to hear it. All you need to do is leave the server set to its 1.04 defaults. ghoul2 off and sabertrace 0 (i think). None of the extra blocking or attacking stuff that ProMod does is affected too much by either of these though. Most of the ProMod collision code is "instead of" rather than "in addition to" ghoul2 and sabertrace.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-05-2002, 02:25 PM   #85
ArtifeX

Take Note Gunners:

Quote:
Originally posted by FatalStrike
Do you realize what you are getting yourself into? Gunners will go rabid if you find a way to make sabers equal. Heck, they are already mad at you for upping saber throw damage against gunners.

You are a marked man Artifex, no telling what could happen to you.

Then again I already gave you my thoughts on how to help balance things out. Give'em Hell Artifex!!

Gunners take note:

I hereby solemnly swear that I will not in any way nerf, cripple or otherwise make sh1tty any gun, saber style/swing, or Force Power. Yet, I will bring Guns vs. Sabers into balance.

As to how I'm going to do that...I'll keep that to myself for a bit.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #86
taboo

Aww, come on! Let us in on the secret! I'm getting tired of going through your trash looking for scribbles/notes on promod!

Honestly though, you might want to let your ideas marinate in the forums for a bit. There may be some collective wisdom around here to be taken advantage of. Or maybe we're all whiny instant gratification junkies who just wanna know NOW!!!

Keep it up, eh?
taboo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 04:29 PM   #87
TheLiberator34

Question

I haven't gotten a chance to download the Promod yet, but one thing i was wondering about is if you modyfied strong style. I think it should have less of a windup, but should have a chance of overswing if you miss your target.
TheLiberator34 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #88
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLiberator34
I haven't gotten a chance to download the Promod yet, but one thing i was wondering about is if you modyfied strong style. I think it should have less of a windup, but should have a chance of overswing if you miss your target.
The major change i made to Strong was that I upped the footspeed during a swing. I think you'll find that change alone makes the Strong stance much more effective in combat. Most people have commented that it is a little riskier to use, but has a satisfying result for taking the risk.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-05-2002, 04:43 PM   #89
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by taboo
Aww, come on! Let us in on the secret! I'm getting tired of going through your trash looking for scribbles/notes on promod!

Honestly though, you might want to let your ideas marinate in the forums for a bit. There may be some collective wisdom around here to be taken advantage of. Or maybe we're all whiny instant gratification junkies who just wanna know NOW!!!

Keep it up, eh?
I generally like to keep conceptual stuff under my hat until i've tested the feasibility in the code. Once I've got the lion's share of it working, I'll let you guys know about it.

Really though, if this works out, none of you will be disappointed I think.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-05-2002, 04:44 PM   #90
zerowingzero

Lol i just like posting pics, anyway i'd say i'm pretty good in ffa's, not to sound ****y but i usually do get high scores without guns with promodv2

Anyway i'll just have to focus on you next time i see you in arti's server

Anyway there is something i must bring up with absorb, since promod beta 1 i've never used it, it is pretty useless to my with the increased useage and the delay before it activates, it's only usefull if someone just holds down lightning or if that's the only force power your gonna use. Any other time it seems more economical to just run from lightning-ers that don't hold it down, as by the time i activate absorb they've stoped and i've got less force with no benifit

Last edited by zerowingzero; 09-05-2002 at 04:58 PM.
zerowingzero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 PM   #91
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

Quote:
Oh, I dunno. Sabre throw hasnt bothered me much in promod. I did rather well with my guns against FatalStrike and PsionicJedi.

ShockV1.89

"Not all one pleads can be granted. But a good hearing soothes the heart." -The Instruction of Ptah-hotep.

"So here I go, it's my shot. Feet fail me not. This may be the only opportunity that I got..." -Eminem
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 07:05 PM   #92
Psionic Jedi

Quote:
Originally posted by ShockV1.89

Oh, I dunno. Sabre throw hasnt bothered me much in promod. I did rather well with my guns against FatalStrike and PsionicJedi.

ShockV1.89
Arrr that you did Shock, even owned me with the saber in a duel :O

At least I have two duel kills on FatalStrike under me belt

Without fear, there is no courage
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me.
In the land of California, in the heat of San Jose the dark haired PSIONIC JEDI forged in secret a master computer to control all others and into this computer he poured his money, his computer parts and many screws
One computer to rule them all. One computer to find the foes
One computer to bring them all to hell and in the darkness conquer
In the online gaming world where the envying ones lie.
-Original dito119
Psionic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2002, 07:27 PM   #93
KnightHawk420

Quote:
I dunno, this one feels kinda spammy. I just spent 15 minutes playing another two guys, and this one fella would just spam yellow slashes. No specials or anything, just run at you swinging yellow, and I found it very hard to counter. Yellow did decent damage, and it would break defenses as well? Hmmm....

ShockV1.89
I had to deal with this kind of fighting lastnight myself. It does seem somehow Medium is more effective at this than it should be... but...

Blue stance is good against it. Blue lunge works like a charm.

Block, parry, strike with blue...

If you can get some distance from him, switch to red and at least make his incoming strikes dangerous as hell.

Mostly though blue stance worked best against this kind of player. Keep calm, block the hits and counter. It's as simple as that.. Sorta..
KnightHawk420 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2002, 08:53 AM   #94
ArtifeX

Generally the way things go is that Blue beats Yellow (used in the proper reactive rather than proactive manner), Yellow beats Red, and Red beats Blue (it busts Blue's defenses pretty well).

So KnightHawk's right, Blue does counter Yellow. You just wait for their attack, then block it, and use the block to chain a counterattack while the Yellow user is still recovering.

There's a great Blue combo that I've pointed out before that's difficult to do, but it's the fastest combo in the game, and can kill a player outright if you do it correctly. Goes like this:

attack(hold)+left, forward+right, left, forward+right, left,...ad infinitum.

One cycle of this combo will hit six times is just over 1 second. With the new damages, you'll be doing 180 points if you land all six. Hell, if you land just half of them you'll do the equivalent of a Strong swing at 90 points. If somebody sees me in a server and wants a demonstration of this, i can demonstrate.

This will chew up an unwary Yellow user.

Also, Yellow is seeming to be the best style for most people, but remember, most of the servers out there are FFA, so that's where most people's experience lies. If you do more private duels, I think you'll find that the advantages of Blue over Yellow start to become more apparent. I'm actually getting quite good at using Blue in duels, myself. Just as ZeroWingZero about the priv. duel we had on the death star map last night. :P

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #95
FatalStrike

Quote:

ShockV1.89

Yeah yeah yeah I got my @ss handed to me by Shock, and so what!!

I did put in some Promod training hours last night and have gotten better. So I look forward to running into all of you on-line. I need the practice so I will be at arti's server more often.

By the way Arti the new mind trick works wonders on gunners! Great job!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Psionic Jedi

Arrr that you did Shock, even owned me with the saber in a duel :O

At least I have two duel kills on FatalStrike under me belt
Me and you were pretty even, I got you good a few times and you got me back.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-06-2002, 04:10 PM   #96
zerowingzero

Quote:

ZeroWingZero about the priv. duel we had on the death star map last night. :P
What the?! Yellow lost to blue without a lunge! this isnt right! ahh!

Blue is fine if your patient, or not playing FFA, yellow will do more damage in less time and most likely steal your kills if you arent fast enough. I gotta learn to use blue
Old 09-06-2002, 04:24 PM   #97
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by zerowingzero

What the?! Yellow lost to blue without a lunge! this isnt right! ahh!

Blue is fine if your patient, or not playing FFA, yellow will do more damage in less time and most likely steal your kills if you arent fast enough. I gotta learn to use blue
Exactly why more people are going for Yellow these days: they think that Medium's uses in FFA transfer to a closed duel. Closed duels are MUCH different than full FFA now.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-06-2002, 04:55 PM   #98
FatalStrike

I am learning blue a little bit, I kept losing duels to this one guy and finally stuck with blue for most of the duels and end up winning the next 4. It's not that blue does a lot of damage but it throws them off their game plan. They can't fight the way they like to fight and you end up opening them up to a later in the duel red or yellow hit.

That what makes Promod cool, all the stances seem to be very useful.

The footspeed change finally made red useful again but despite all the cry's of "oh no red is going to be uber again" it isn't. Well done Artifex!!

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-06-2002, 04:59 PM   #99
FatalStrike

Quote:

Exactly why more people are going for Yellow these days: they think that Medium's uses in FFA transfer to a closed duel. Closed duels are MUCH different than full FFA now.
Just like they were in 1.02.

In 1.02 FFA was a DFA orgy. Everyone DFA'd all day and those of us who were better at it won.

But 1.02 duels have medium stance masters crushing heavy users.

Duels are about small calculated attacks and a very mindful defensive posture. You can't be reckless in a duel in 1.02 or Promod. The hit points are high and one false step and its bye bye Jedi. I love it!!

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-07-2002, 04:03 AM   #100
thehomicidalegg

lol 1.04 is still a DFA orgy...
thehomicidalegg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #101
zerowingzero

Quote:
Originally posted by thehomicidalegg
lol 1.04 is still a DFA orgy...

*looks at title that reads "Promod beta 2 released*

*wonders why comment about crappy 1.04 is in thread*

If you are refering to promod, i think you must have been playing with complete novices to the game, with promod, it isnt worth it to spam specials, especially in ffa's because of the increased damage. I also found that if i ever do connect with an un-blocked dfa, unless i got them from behind or they just stood still, i never got a kill.
I need to test this more.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:10 PM   #102
zerowingzero

I got a few idea's here from our tffa game, tell me what you think

1.Allow duels in Tffa for opposing teams:

Would be nice but i wouldent want tffa matches turning into FFA's with everyone's saber off

2. Allow some benifit for the greater levles of the team heal/energize:

Right now the only difference that i see in the levels is range, a benifit for lv three would be nice, as well as a lowering of the lv1 benifits.

3.Increace velocity of pushed back weapons:

Right now pushings is more of a novelty it most cases, as you can always dodge rather than pushing and ALL guns have a faster ROF than the push cool down. Don't know how easy this would be to implement, not really neccesary as i don't have much problems with gunners.

4. Bind a damn key with your site in it!

Anytime someone asks what promod does your frozen for like 6 min explaining it to them! or just simplfy it as "aim=good"
Old 09-07-2002, 08:13 PM   #103
ArtifeX

Quote:
Originally posted by zerowingzero
I got a few idea's here from our tffa game, tell me what you think

1.Allow duels in Tffa for opposing teams:

Would be nice but i wouldent want tffa matches turning into FFA's with everyone's saber off

2. Allow some benifit for the greater levles of the team heal/energize:

Right now the only difference that i see in the levels is range, a benifit for lv three would be nice, as well as a lowering of the lv1 benifits.

3.Increace velocity of pushed back weapons:

Right now pushings is more of a novelty it most cases, as you can always dodge rather than pushing and ALL guns have a faster ROF than the push cool down. Don't know how easy this would be to implement, not really neccesary as i don't have much problems with gunners.

4. Bind a damn key with your site in it!

Anytime someone asks what promod does your frozen for like 6 min explaining it to them! or just simplfy it as "aim=good"
I'll keep all this in mind, though with the Beta 3 plans i have, most of it would be unnecessary, i think.

#4: ROFL. It's a complicated system, so I don't mind explaining it. Maybe I should bind a bunch of 1 line descriptions and hit each of them in turn, hmm? hehehehe.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-07-2002, 08:23 PM   #104
zerowingzero

*game starts FFA_Bespin*

*ZWZ has connected*

*ZWZ was sabered by Lazarous*

*ArtifeX *asc* was sabered by ZWZ*

*noob1 connected*

*noob1 has connected*

*noob1 was sabered by Atrifex *asc**

*noob1 was sabered by Lazarous*

*noob1 was sabered by ZWZ*

Noob1: What does this mod do?!??

Artifex *asc*: it's a complete re-work of the saber system

Artifex *asc*: It eleminates random encounters in favor of skill

Noob1: O

Artifex *asc*: (Every single thing in his site + demos)

*25min later*

Noob1:k

Artifex *Asc*: since when were we playing FFA_Yavin??
Old 09-08-2002, 01:12 AM   #105
thehomicidalegg

i was referring to 1.04, not promod, some1 said 1.02 was a dfa orgy im just commenting that 1.04 still is one... Thus the reason why we should ALL be playing promod
Old 09-08-2002, 01:13 PM   #106
lf412

Hehe, great job with the beta 2. Although it seems to be lacking servers atm. Anyway, 129.2.149.62:28070 is also a CTF server, just in case the Praxeum one gets full . Although I might change it depending on the player base.

Oh yeah, can anyone please tell me how to get my server on qtracker. That would be much appreciated!
lf412 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2002, 01:20 PM   #107
Sam

If this mod had the wall kick while your not on the ground thing and cliff hanging ability this would be the next patch

Nobodys prefect perfect
Sam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2002, 01:31 PM   #108
ArtifeX

Actually, if you email the author of qtracker (his email at www.qtracker.com), then he'll probably respond. I've traded emails with him a couple of times now and he's always been very prompt in his responses.

Quote:
Originally posted by lf412
Hehe, great job with the beta 2. Although it seems to be lacking servers atm. Anyway, 129.2.149.62:28070 is also a CTF server, just in case the Praxeum one gets full . Although I might change it depending on the player base.

Oh yeah, can anyone please tell me how to get my server on qtracker. That would be much appreciated!

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-10-2002, 06:13 AM   #109
taboo

I've been playing promod beta 2 a fair amount against bots and I'm not so sure that their bot/exact aim will be a problem. In fact, the bots are by nature so stupid that perhaps their aim is a needed enhancement. Thought I'd mention this as I've been one of the ppl mentioning the bot issue in the past. As always, just my opinion. Looking forward to numero tres!
Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 AM   #110
ArtifeX

Quote:
I've been playing promod beta 2 a fair amount against bots and I'm not so sure that their bot/exact aim will be a problem. In fact, the bots are by nature so stupid that perhaps their aim is a needed enhancement. Thought I'd mention this as I've been one of the ppl mentioning the bot issue in the past. As always, just my opinion. Looking forward to numero tres!
I'm planning on adding a bit of scalability to the bot aim at some point. That'll allow people to play against easy bots and not have to compete with such high accuracy. Not sure if it's going to be in beta 3, but it'll happen eventually.

Artifex *ASC*
Old 09-11-2002, 03:35 AM   #111
thehomicidalegg

hmm bots a predictable, thats their main fault, so i dont really think their aims matters, though it is good to see they are somewhat better now than before
Old 09-17-2002, 03:46 AM   #112
taboo

How now brown cow? Really looking forward to beta 3, do you have a rough idea about when it'll be finished? I've been pimping.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:17 PM   #113
ArtifeX

Quote:
How now brown cow? Really looking forward to beta 3, do you have a rough idea about when it'll be finished? I've been pimping.
I've been putting my design doc together for a couple of weeks now, and poring over the code to see what I can accomplish. My long term goal with the mod is pretty lofty, so most of my effort at this point is chopping up my final vision into smaller releases.

Beta 3 is under way. I'll give you all more info as I get closer to release.

Artifex *ASC*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > ProMod Beta 2 -- Released!