lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which Of the 1st 3 movies is your favorite?
Star Wars: A New Hope 32 14.81%
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back 108 50.00%
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi 76 35.19%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Of the First 3 movies, Which was your Fav?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #121
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Probably ESB. But I really have come to view the OT it as one long film...
This is how I see all the Star Wars movies now that they are all released. And, I have watched that 'one long film' in one sitting!

But my favourite is probably Return of the Jedi. Though all of them have certain things I like better than the others.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #122
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
But my favourite is probably Return of the Jedi. Though all of them have certain things I like better than the others.
Indeed. It is funny that one of the best duels occures in TPM.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #123
lateforwork
Rookie

I'll say Return of the Jedi.
lateforwork is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #124
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
Empire hands down.

Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #125
Echo-7
Rookie

I love all star wars movies but i voted for Ep4, cause its the only movie where u see other people and alliens from star wars. Its great to see a city (Mos Eisly) with ships, houses and all in a galaxie far far away

Echo-7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #126
starwarsnerd
Rookie

i like rotj the best. it had every thing ewoks,lightsaber fights,the force and another death star wich goes bang. it also has the sarlacc wich is pretty cool.

Those who stand in front of the empire shall be crushed. Do not make this mistake.
starwarsnerd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #127
Of The Cheese
Lurker

I like Empire Strikes Back. In fact, the main reason I liked it was the music background that was played in it. I was listening to the Soundtrack to Empire Strikes Back on Napsterlinks today. It's just incredible stuff.
http://www.napster.com/player/album/10900551
You can click on the link above, and enter your email address and login name to hear all the full length songs within the album. It's pretty cool.
Of The Cheese is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #128
RaV™
I Came I Saw I Conquered

ROTJ

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6469/ssigvv2.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
RaV™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #129
Darth Methos
Rookie

My favorite movie is Return of the Jedi as well. I like the changes that were made for the DVD release. Sweet!
Darth Methos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #130
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMethos
My favorite movie is Return of the Jedi as well. I like the changes that were made for the DVD release. Sweet!
You can't possibly be 30, no-one older than Kurgan like all the changes.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #131
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
You just met one who is.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #132
Darth Methos
Rookie

I liked the Ewok sequence at the end of the 1980's version. They could have left the original Ani' head.

I liked the transitional cityscape endin'. It was pretty intrestin' to see the Little Shop of Horrors head in the sarlac pit.

Last edited by DarthMethos; 06-06-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Darth Methos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #133
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, I have to admit, I prefer "Some" of the changes in the OT, mostly those nice cityscape and views, and some extra lifeforms in the background, and addition to some space battles.

Contrary to some, I do like the recolored 'sabers. But other than that there are only a few changes appeal to me. And yes the DVD RtoJ ending might not be bad, though I wish they kept most of the original ending also, and seriously, the JubJub song is better than the "Weza Free" thingy.

As for the bad things, I really don't want to start a frame war... Greedo...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #134
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Return of the Jedi
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #135
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Return of the Jedi, the '83 theatrical version is my all time favorite, bar none.

For the most part the SE changes to it were negative or added nothing. About the only change I thought was an improvement was the cleaned up Rancor fx in the '04 edition and the one shot of the cliffs flying towards the Dune Sea (who cares about the herd of Banthas, but the skiffs look much better, with them seeming to hover more and the guy on the deck not looking so stop-motiony).

The "new ending" of the 2004 Edition works as an ending to the entire saga (though I could have lived without "Wesa free!!!"), but it is distracting because it smacks me in the face with some of the lowpoints in the prequels.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #136
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
You couldn't just say Return of the Jedi, could you. You had to bring all that up again.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #137
Kurgan
Headhunter

I did it just to annoy you.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #138
RellikRats
Rookie

My fave is ESB.

I actually would have said RotJ if it wasn't for Ewoks and the DSII! If it wasn't for the most excellent and intense final confrontation 'tween Luke/Vader/Sidious the movie would have been a bust.

After all, did we really need another Death Star? Sorry, already did the Death Star thing, i.e. the first movie, the big event, the main thang. Need to make up something else cool. It just seemed like a cop-out to me.

And the Ewoks were just gawd-awful, like GL was sitting around saying, "Well, let's see, what sells? I know! Cute-n-cuddly! Let's populate the biggest movie event of the 80's with blaster-wielding teddy bears!"

Oh, and just to top it off, I thought Sebastian Shaw looked like a dang marshmallow, both in Vader suit and as a ghost. Very disappointing and anti-climactic to me. "This is the guy everyone's been afraid of for three movies?"

Well, definitely burned some bridges here. Laters.

RellikRats
----------------------------
Uoy htiw eb Ecrof eht yam

Galaxies: Udun Kai
Ultima Online: Zarathustra
RellikRats is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #139
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Star Wars: A New Hope, definately. Gotta love the Binary Sunset.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #140
DarthXilon123
Rookie

Empire Strikes Back VI it was action a lot of it with the begining of the movie when they're fighting on Hoth that was my favourite scene. The other ones weren't as good as that part!!
DarthXilon123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #141
Great Scott!

Don't know why this was bumped, but A New Hope.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #142
grrrrrrrrrr7
Rookie

I like the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. My favorite part is the Imperial March
grrrrrrrrrr7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #143
Samurai DD

Return of the Jedi, I love Anakin's redemption.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #144
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Indeed. It is funny that one of the best duels occures in TPM.
Hands down, I'm not too keen on the rest of that movie, but that part is one of the best moments in the Saga...When Obi-Wan confronts Maul after Qui-Gon got killed: Pure Class!

The best one quality wise is ESB, but my personal favorite has always been ROTJ, because of the duel and the space battle...and Jabba hehehe

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #145
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

I never liked RotJ. I think the ending is too anti-climatic, and I find the Jabba's palace part to be boring.

My favourite would have to be ESB. Great action, story and character development throughout the whole movie. And there's Yoda

ANH is great too. I actually really like the start. Many people think it's too slow, but I think it's nice to see how Luke is pushed into the war only by "destiny".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative_Sun
Hands down, I'm not too keen on the rest of that movie, but that part is one of the best moments in the Saga...When Obi-Wan confronts Maul after Qui-Gon got killed: Pure Class!
And am I the only one to think that the TPM duel is bad? I know it's not really the place to discuss this, but since it has already been mentioned...
I think it looks fake. You can see that the actors only follow by heart the thing they learned. There is also zero emotion and interaction during this duel. They just fight. In all the other duels, there's something more to the fight than simply wanting to kill the bad guy who said 2 lines in the whole movie.

In AotC, they want to catch Dooku to end the war. In RotS, it's the master who tries to stop his apprentice. In ANH, it's the apprentice taking his revenge. In ESB, the father tells to truth to his son. In RotJ, the son saves the father. In TPM, it's just "wha?"

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #146
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsnerd
i like rotj the best. it had every thing ewoks,lightsaber fights,the force and another death star wich goes bang. it also has the sarlacc wich is pretty cool.
Don't forget fireworks. I was going to say ROTJ but then I remembered that Empire is better than ROTJ. Then I remembered that A New Hope is better than Empire. So IV it is.
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #147
Great Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth54
And am I the only one to think that the TPM duel is bad? I know it's not really the place to discuss this, but since it has already been mentioned...
I think it looks fake. You can see that the actors only follow by heart the thing they learned. There is also zero emotion and interaction during this duel. They just fight. In all the other duels, there's something more to the fight than simply wanting to kill the bad guy who said 2 lines in the whole movie.

In AotC, they want to catch Dooku to end the war. In RotS, it's the master who tries to stop his apprentice. In ANH, it's the apprentice taking his revenge. In ESB, the father tells to truth to his son. In RotJ, the son saves the father. In TPM, it's just "wha?"
Well, first of all, remember there were like five battles going on at once, not enough time for emotion really. But even then, when Qui-Gon was killed, it started to get pretty emotional, or at least I thought so.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #148
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Yeah, that's what I mean, the short ls battle between Obi-Wan and Maul AFTER Qui-Gon got killed is the best ever...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #149
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Wrong. The part of the TPM duel everyone is refering to is the part that the apprentice is avenging the master, it's as "wha?" and emotionless as the OT duels. So nice try.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #150
Great Scott!

Well said, MachineCult.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #151
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Wrong. The part of the TPM duel everyone is refering to is the part that the apprentice is avenging the master
After two replies, I kind of understood that. No need to say it again.

Quote:
it's as "wha?" and emotionless as the OT duels. So nice try.
I fail to understand this. It's either sarcasm, or you think that all the duels are empty of emotion.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #152
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
I fail to understand this. It's either sarcasm, or you think that all the duels are empty of emotion.
Well you definitely fail... I was giving a reason for the TPM duel not being "wha?" (..?) and emotionless, the sarcasm was clear to Nintendork, his agreeing with me should have helped you understand.

- Halo_92

Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #153
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Well you definitely fail... I was giving a reason for the TPM duel not being "wha?" (..?) and emotionless, the sarcasm was clear to Nintendork, his agreeing with me should have helped you understand.
Well I'm sorry for not having understood your meaning. Not everyone is as gifted as you or nintendork.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #154
Valter
Rookie

I've always liked ROTJ the best for the final space battle and the Emperor's lightning show. (See my sig.)

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision!" - Palpatine
Valter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #155
Kurgan
Headhunter

I'll also say that ROTJ had the coolest looking lightsabers (they sounded big, powerful and heavy, and had brilliant glows, despite Lowry Digital screwing them up in the 2004/2005 DVD's, in the original versions they look fantastic and looked great in theaters in 1997 too) and the best duel (apart from Episode I that is) and the best special effects (up to that time).

It also has the greatest space battle of the series, period (the Episode III battle is too chaotic, we don't spend much time on it, and the heroes really aren't participating in the battle, just flying through it to get to Grievous' ship).

Yes, the Emperor was an over-the-top villian (much more than the subtle mysterious figure of ESB, or even the scheming politician of the prequels), but he stole the show! (and had some of the best lines)

Yes, ROTJ's weakness is that it doesn't develop the main characters a huge amount (it presumes you've seen the previous two movies, or at least ESB), but it's still my favorite. Best action, and doesn't go overboard on the cute/slapstick/jokiness as Episode I would (though the Special Editions lay this on thicker and start to plunge into that territory... remember they also added some of that hokiness to ANH).

As for the TPM duel, I consider it "the best" from an action standpoint. The camera pulls back and lets us SEE so much of the fight and it's so fast and awesome that I can't help but like it. Yes, there are interruptions which are annoying as they are in the other films but still, what we see is just flat out amazing (the first battle with Qui Gon in the desert is much more traditional, I'm talking about the battle in the factory/foundry/whatever that is between the three and then when they split off and fight Maul one on one).

To everyone complaining about the second death star.. I feel your pain. But be glad you only got one (in an early script draft there were THREE new death stars!).

And yes, I agree that Lucas ought to have had Dave Prowse in makeup under the mask originally. But oh well. We got Shaw instead (a veteran actor that most kids today aren't going to be familiar with), but we ACCEPTED HIM for 21 years as the "true face" of Darth Vader/Anakin. Then suddenly Lucas wants us to believe that it's really Hayden! I much prefer the kindly old man, a "healed" version of Shaw under the mask, than that long haired hippie whiner we saw in Episode III. I don't like the way he's looking at his daughter there either...! Luke goes back to the fire thinking "who the heck was that weirdo with Yoda and Ben... he's younger than me!"

Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #156
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Well, I have to admit, I prefer "Some" of the changes in the OT, mostly those nice cityscape and views, and some extra lifeforms in the background, and addition to some space battles.

Contrary to some, I do like the recolored 'sabers.
Are you talking about the tweaked sabers in the Vader/Obi-Wan fight in ANH and Obi-Wan in the cantina in the same movie?

Surely you're not talking about Vader's saber suddenly turning pink or orange for no reason, or Luke's turning green in ANH, then back to blue!

Commander Obi-Wan: So you're older than me (I'm 27) and you prefer the Special Editions to the originals. Did you actually see the originals first?

Just curious.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 AM   #157
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
And yes, I agree that Lucas ought to have had Dave Prowse in makeup under the mask originally. But oh well. We got Shaw instead (a veteran actor that most kids today aren't going to be familiar with), but we ACCEPTED HIM for 21 years as the "true face" of Darth Vader/Anakin. Then suddenly Lucas wants us to believe that it's really Hayden! I much prefer the kindly old man, a "healed" version of Shaw under the mask, than that long haired hippie whiner we saw in Episode III. I don't like the way he's looking at his daughter there either...! Luke goes back to the fire thinking "who the heck was that weirdo with Yoda and Ben... he's younger than me!"
Hayden is better for Anakin for one simple reason, he was Anakin. Never was Anakin a "kindly old man", he was forty five when he died! Sebastian Shaw depicted Anakin as a fat 78 year old man, which is completely inaccurate.

Anakin should have been a near middle-age man, Hayden is how he appeared in previous films, but "kindy old man" Shaw was totally off the mark and they couldn't possibly have left him in ROTJ in the DVD edits, it wouldn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Commander Obi-Wan: So you're older than me (I'm 27) and you prefer the Special Editions to the originals. Did you actually see the originals first?

Just curious.
Commander Obi-Wan is 15...

- Halo_92

Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #158
Great Scott!

Once again, well said MachineCult. My thoughts exactly.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Old 09-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #159
Kurgan
Headhunter

Of course, that's entirely Lucas's fault for wanting to set TPM 30 years before ANH with Anakin as a little kid.

Most of us conceived of Anakin was a young man in his 20's when he "turned to evil" (about Luke's age) and then the original trilogy took place about forty years later.

Anyway, had Lucas really been consistent, he should have put Hayden in "middle age makeup" instead of just showing him as a 21 year old (complete with his male model haircut) and then making up some BS about a residual self image (that meant he got to shove his youthful prettyboy looks in the faces of Obi-Wan and Yoda for all eternity or something, heh).

Quote:
Commander Obi-Wan is 15...
Then I rest my case. I thought somebody said he was older, I misunderstood.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #160
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Yes, I am indeed 15 years of age. I have yet to see the theatrical versions of the OT and I guess I was wrong to say that I prefer them just because I haven't seen them yet. But, when I do see the threatrical releases I will tell you if I prefer them more than I prefer the digitally remastered versions.

*Though, the main reason why I said I prefer the digitally remastered versions is because I like movies that are edited from the originally versions of them. Mainly because the picture is clearer and it generally makes the movie look more "realistic", if you know what I am saying.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > Of the First 3 movies, Which was your Fav?